Monday, June 15, 2009

Okonomiyaki, Food of Champions...

I love Oknomiyaki. It's really like Japanese street food... not gourmet at all. If I see it on a Japanese restaurant menu, it becomes almost like a compulsion for me to order it. In lieu of having to go to a restaurant, Jen, Jen's Roommate (Shellyn, haha! haha) and I decided that we should make it. We've made it once before, and it was rather successful (or at least we thought so) so here we go again...


Here's the batter... you can buy it in a Japanese Market and then add fresh chopped cabbage and green onions.




This is the batter in case you've never seen it before. Excuse the lack of rotation.




Then you cook the meat. This is pork. Sorry it's sideways, I'm too lazy to try to rotate this and then upload it, so just turn your head sideways.




Shrimp also goes into the okonomiyaki.




Assembly step 1# Thin layer of batter with the cabbage already mixed in, then meat.





Assembly step #2: Add another thin later of battered cabbage on top.



I missed the pictures of Jen flipping this thing high in the air, so I'm just going to skip to the finale.




Here is the final product, decorated with okonomiyaki sauce, kewpie mayo, bento flakes, and seaweed flakes.



And just for kicks:

1 comment: